Follow Us On
Register
Keto Burn - The Natural Fat Burner
Forged Burner - The Extreme Fat Burner

Pre/Post workout advice needed please?

For Pre-workout I was having banana and bagel with peanut butter but as the PB is high in fat I realised this will slow down absorption of the bagel so I will swap the PB for jam....Post work out I have a Pro Recover shake tha the supplement companies do ie one with fast absorbing sugars. Then when I get home I usually have cottage cheese/or Quark, yougurt. mixed nuts and peanut butter mixed up - its almost like a dessert, so kinda like a treat. Will that still be ok to have on training days? Also before the cottage cheese should I squeeze in a small meal of white rice and fish?

The main thing is just making sure to hit your macro and cal totals for each 24 hour period. As long as you're doing that, the other stuff isn't nearly as important -- so do what you enjoy. I always do a whey isolate shake immediately after just because I like to get more protein in that way as I don't eat a ton. But typically, you're looking at quick digesting carbs and protein with no fat immediately post and then slower digesting items an hour or 2 later (e.g. a whole food meal with complex carbs, protein and fat). But again, don't overthink things. Change stuff up a bit and do whatever seems to work the best for you. With your pre-training nutrition, just base it off of what you notice performance wise.

You're on the right track!

Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."

"Following Jesus don't mean that there won't be pain
    But um, it does promise that none of it is in vain"

- Andy Mineo

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    The main thing is just making sure to hit your macro and cal totals for each 24 hour period. As long as you're doing that, the other stuff isn't nearly as important -- so do what you enjoy. I always do a whey isolate shake immediately after just because I like to get more protein in that way as I don't eat a ton. But typically, you're looking at quick digesting carbs and protein with no fat immediately post and then slower digesting items an hour or 2 later (e.g. a whole food meal with complex carbs, protein and fat). But again, don't overthink things. Change stuff up a bit and do whatever seems to work the best for you. With your pre-training nutrition, just base it off of what you notice performance wise.

You're on the right track!
    Hey thanks for the great reply! As you said, I think I am overthinking things......I'm glad I've got the pre/post workout thing sorted as it was one my weak points n the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian999 View Post
    Hey thanks for the great reply! As you said, I think I am overthinking things......I'm glad I've got the pre/post workout thing sorted as it was one my weak points n the past.
    Yeah, I used to overthink it as well. It doesn't mean it's a bad thing to divy it up the way you've got it, but it's just not more important than anything else. I remember the whole anabolic window thing; chugging sugar and whey hydro and creatine as soon as you finished your last set; heaven forbid you did cardio after; etc lol. But it's mostly hitting your daily needs and doing what works best for you; the little things will make minor differences at best; so do what's convenient and what makes you feel good. I finish lifting at like 7:30 AM, so a whey isolate shake is an easy way for me to slam before work and get a little in my system and then eat whole foods later in the day when I can actually enjoy them/not feel rushed.

Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."

"Following Jesus don't mean that there won't be pain
    But um, it does promise that none of it is in vain"

- Andy Mineo